How to Use this LibGuide
This LibGuide is an aid to those looking for information on the Middle East. It collocates generally useful information in one location. It contains links to websites, newsfeeds, the library catalog, and suggested databases. It is not a bibliography, but rather a starting place for research on the Middle East that we think you will find useful. Click on the tabs above to explore other pages of this guide.
We welcome your feedback!
Internet Quick Reference
Off Campus Access
Note: Links to the NWC databases will work from off-site via the EZProxy for authorized users only.
(1) Via Blackboard: From Library's home page on the INTERNET, http://www.usnwc.edu/Academics/Library.aspx, select Databases from the navigation menu and choose a database by title from the A-Z List. In the pop-up window, you will be asked to choose an authentication method. Choose Blackboard and then enter your Blackboard Username and Password. OR: Log into Blackboard; click Library tab near top of page; click A-Z List of Databases; then select the database you wish to search.
(2) CAC option: From Library's home page on the INTERNET, http://www.usnwc.edu/Academics/Library.aspx, select Databases from the navigation menu and choose a database by title from the A-Z List. In the pop-up window, you will be asked to choose an authentication method. Ensure that your CAC is in the CAC reader. Choose CAC and follow the screen directions. You will be ready to search the database you selected.
Please see a Reference Librarian for further information.
The Middle East
The term "Middle East" is used to refer to often differing countries located in North Africa, the Persian Gulf Region, and Southwest Asia. Because definitions vary greatly this LibGuide will cover the region based on a broad definition. A broad definition of the Greater Middle East would include the states listed below.
- Fertile Crescent: Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria,Turkey
- North Africa: Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia
- Southwest Asia: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgiztan, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Yemen
Quick Reference Books
For quick, general information about the Middle East consult these resources located in the Naval War College Library reference collection.